University College Dublin (UCD) is one of Europe’s leading research-intensive universities. Here undergraduate education, postgraduate masters and PhD training, research, innovation and community engagement form a dynamic continuum of activity.
This extended student centre provides space for additional student support, leisure and a diverse range of cultural facilities. The facilities include a new swimming pool, fitness centre, dance studio, debating chamber, drama theatre, multi-media and seminar rooms, a media centre/radio studio, student health facilities and café space.
Designer Group carried out the mechanical and electrical installation within this state of the art facility. The most challenging aspect of the project was the mechanical installation within the split plant room areas. The completed Olympic sized swimming pool required an extensive plant area to house the sand filtration and heating systems. A Building Information Model (BIM) was used to assist the design coordination process.
The project presented a unique blend of installation types within one location. The drama theatre has extensive lighting rigs, the cinema has a comprehensive audio visual system suite, while the lighting installation within debating chamber is designed and installed with a subtlety to match the room’s character. The overall building design mixes an industrial robust infrastructure with a modern vibrant interactive fit-out, and can only be fully appreciated on location.
Designer Group carried out installation of the following services
- Full ventilation and treated air systems within the gym, a dance studio, debating chamber, drama theatre, multi-media and seminar rooms
- Heating and water services
- Extensive multi zoned under floor heating system
- Mechanical services to commercial catering facility
- Fully integrated building management control system
- Extensive pipework to and from the sand filtration system for the Olympic pool
- Full installation of the sanitary-ware within the client changing areas
- Extensive pipework within the confined pool perimeter ventilation chambers
- Comprehensive plant room fit-out using BIM model design coordination process
- Integration into the 10KV medium voltage campus ring main installation
- Cat 6 structured cabling installation
- Primary and diverse secondary fibre optic linkage to the main campus network
- Public address installation throughout the building
- Disabled support systems, accessible accessories, toilet alarms, refuge systems etc.
- Addressable fire alarm system linked to the UCD college campus
- Centrally controlled lighting control system featuring high frequency dimmable light fittings
- Extensive Building Management System (BMS) cabling network
- Full security system suite, access control, intruder alarm, CCTV systems
- Lecture theatre services installation
- Drama theatre specialist stage lighting
- Multiple audio visual systems within the gym, a dance studio, debating chamber, drama theatre, multi-media and seminar rooms
- Electrical services to commercial catering facility
- Electrical services within the swimming pool and plant rooms
- External lighting installation