Belvedere House, Gardens and Park
Belvedere House Gardens and Park is a magnificent 160 acre Lakeside estate with fully restored Georgian Villa, Victorian Walled Garden, naturalistic designed 18th century parkland punctuated with Romantic follies including the Jealous Wall. After a restoration project carried out by the estate owners, Westmeath County Council in conjunction with Failte Ireland and the Great Gardens of Ireland Restoration Fund, Belvedere house opened to the public in the year 2000.
Built in 1740 as a hunting lodge for Robert Rochfort, 1st Earl of Belvedere by architect Richard Castle, one of Ireland’s foremost Palladian architects. Belvedere House, although not very large, is architecturally significant because of its Diocletian windows and dramatic nineteenth-century terracing. When Robert Rochfort decided to use Belvedere as his principal residence he employed Barthelemij Cramillion, the French Stuccadore, to execute the Rococo plasterwork ceilings which are among the most exquisite in the country.
Designer Group carried out a extensive works to the house to prepare the estate for public opening.
There was an extensive fire protection installation including an aspiration and optical detection system to protect the Rococo plasterwork. The works were centered in the house and restaurant. To aid the tour guides a multimedia installation with an automatic AV media installation was installed.