Project Engineer (Mechanical)
Designer Group is a leading Global Engineering Contractor specialising in turnkey packages for the design, supply and installation of utilities. Headquartered in Dublin, with regional offices in Limerick, the UK, Germany, Africa and the USA, we directly employ over 1000 staff across the Group. As an industry leader, we work with some of the world’s largest multinational companies.
Our people are the foundation to our continued growth across all client sectors. We invest in our people and have a philosophy of continuous professional development. This investment has produced an innovative and passionate team that deliver projects for our clients safely, efficiently and to the highest standards in the industry.
The ideal candidate must have:
- Mechanical Engineering Degree – Level 6/7 OR Building Services Degree qualification.
- Working knowledge of current fire alarm and emergency lighting regulations.
- Knowledge of engineering software tools – Relux, Amtec etc.
- Thorough working knowledge of MS Office.
- A desire to work in a fast paced environment.
- Excellent time management and communication skills.
- Ability to work on own initiative.
Roles and Responsibilities:
(1) Drawing Work
- Preparing and altering design drawings with a design input.
- Reviewing Red Line drawings.
- Creation of as installed drawings.
- Constant communication with other staff to ensure the most up to date drawings are avialable and given, to those in the office and one site.
- Maintenance of Drawing Register Sheets on Site and in Head Office.
- Dealing with and storage of incoming, outgoing and internal drawings and register sheets.
- Monitoring drawing control.
- Working with 3D drawing models, creating and editing.
- Building object orientated drawing databases within the specialist software platforms.
- Taking an active part in the co-ordination of services drawings liaising with project team.
(2) Estimation/Financial Work
- Extracting information from project work to be priced.
- Communicating with suppliers and sub-contractors, in order to obtain price and design related information.
- Carrying out variations on projects and issuing up to date correspondence.
- Issuing up to date VO Sheets.
- Drawing Take-Offs – comparison of tender / new revisions and preparing additional works / take-off for pricing.
- Confirm verbal instructions when AI’s are not received.
(3) Technical Approval, Procurement and Purchasing
- Liaising with Purchasing Manager, and working to Designer Group Purchasing policies and systems.
- Liaising with Project Manager, in relation to raising Internal Requisitions and generation of Purchase Orders.
- Dealing with suppliers to obtain most cost-effective order price, this will be done in conjunction with the relevant Project Manager.
- Obtaining details / submittals from suppliers for presentations to the project team.
- Ensuring procurement schedules up to date and issued weekly.
- Co-ordination of delivery of materials to site, when required, including checking quantity and quality of deliveries and taking full responsibility for same.
- Plan all labour and material requirements at least two weeks in advance, ensuring adequate stocks/materials are available on site at all times.
- Manage programming of works in conjunction with the Project Manager, and monitor building progress.
- Compliance with regulations and issue weekly progress reports including; RFI schedule, procurement schedule, program update, current progress status, key issues, critical date, identification and any documentation that is specific to projects which you are involved in. In order to achieve this, it is important that a full understanding of all aspects of the project is known.
- Co-ordination of installation.
- Commercial awareness – requesting and monitoring of instructions, issue of work records, labour returns,provision of information for costing of variations etc.
- Assisting others managers if required.
- Liaising with operations staff, suppliers, clients and project teams, on a daily basis or based on project requirements.
- Ensure full understanding of Designer Group Policies and Procedures, through day-to-day working.
- Comply and be reponsible for implementing Designer Group’s Policies and Procedures. Reporting to the Company’s Health & Safety Manager.
- Comply with Designer Group’s Quality, Safety and Environmental Systems including monitoring and maintaining site documentation.
- Review design process to ensure that installations are fit for purpose.
- Supervision of personnel on site; specialist sub-contractors, agency and direct employees.
- Monitor quality of workmanship & materials.
- Contributing to the design process.
- Keeping up to date with current regulations.
- Working with suppliers to generate technical submittals to client’s requirements.
- Lighting design software relux.
- Cable sizing software Amtech.
- Switch gear selection and cable selection.
- Contributing to and maintaining pre-construction manuals, construction manuals and operation and maintenance manuals.
(6) Assistance of Contract Manager
- Required to supervise and direct operations on M&E Projects; ensuring projects are completed safely, and to a high quality standard, on time, and within budget.
- Oversee the contracting process with chosen sub-contractors and ensuring all works are carried out correctly and as per contract and job specification.
- Co-ordination of plant movement and plant records and keeping log records up to date and accurate and reporting plant issues.
- Liaison with clients, main contractors and other trades personnel as and when required.
- Attend regular progress meetings with both the design team and sub-contractors and effectively control the use of both labour and materials.
- Carry out regular surveys of installations. Ensure the installations are ready for commissioning on the expecteddue dates and manage commissioning so that no liquidated damages are incurred on any projects.
- Close out project successfully and to budgeted profit levels.
- Will play a key role in the value engineering process of the project which will include setting budgets, achieving targets, identifying variations and changes.